Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Virgin No More!


My first published writing in a comic book hits the stands today. Issue 3 of Ed Brubaker's popular crime series 'Criminal' is released and features an article that I wrote on the Sydney Pollack film 'The Yakuza', starring Robert Mitchum and Ken Takakura.

If you're interested, the article itself is available on this blog, about four or five posts back.

'Criminal' is a labor of love for Brubaker and artist Sean Phillips, focusing on the seamier side of the underworld, rich with character development and moody artwork. In addition to the main story, each issue has a feature in the back of the magazine that focuses on a particular crime film or genre'. I've been introduced to several films that I was unaware of because of these profiles.

A few months back, I had dinner with Ed as we were discussing a project (that will be revealed soon) and the conversation turned to movies. To my surprise, he'd never heard of 'The Yakuza'. As I started telling him about it, he asked me if I'd like to write an article on it, and here we are.

Years ago, I used to write for a British film mag called 'Impact', that focused on action films. That was fun and ever since, I've been interested in critical writing, but from more of a fan's perspective, than a scholarly one. 'The Yakuza' piece is the first article that I've written in a long time and I don't think it will be the last. And to have it included by the writer of my favorite comics for the last several years is especially satisfying.

Thanks for the hook up, Ed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

read your essay the other day, and loved it. though, wish you had said a little more about what really went down between the schrader brothers.