Monday, December 31, 2007
Cho the Mighty!
To about 90% of the folks kind of enough to read this blog, the following won't mean a whole lot. But to the other 10%, you'll definitely get it. Thus far, I've been writing about movies and music, two of my favorite pasttimes. Now, my attention turns to comic books.
If you aren't into comics by now, you likely won't ever get into them, which is ok. I've been a comic book fan since I was a kid, and it's been interesting to watch how the industry has changed over the decades, some things for the better, some things, the less said the better (Spider-Man clone anyone?). Over the last few years, I've come to know quite a few comic book creators as friends, which increases my appreciation for their work even more. I started collecting original art from a number of these artists a few years ago and I'm really pleased with the way it's been developing.
From time to time as I get new pieces, I'm going to post them on the blog for anyone who's interested to check out. The first post comes from Frank Cho, one of the most exciting artists on the scene today. Frank blends a classic line with modern camera angles and excellent anatomical construction. As you'll be able to see from these two pages, from Mighty Avengers #2, Frank has a specific appreciation for the delicate design of the female form. He generally doesn't let much of his art get out of his hands, but every eclipse I can badger him out of a piece or two. For more Cho-isms, check out his website, apesandbabes.com.
On the music front, I'm bringing in the new year tonight at Genghis Cohen, a restaurant/club. My buddy Vinx is performing and a great time will be had by all. You can check Vinx's music out at vinx.com.
Happy New Year!