Thursday, December 27, 2007
I just got a bunch of dvds in the mail of various concerts, including several Stevie Wonder shows. One of the shows was a tribute that BET did for Stevie in 2002. I popped it in and started watching. A lot of great artists paid tribute to the Detroit native, but the one that caught me off guard was the late Gerald Levert, performing an inspired version of 'All I Do'. Gerald's father Eddie, lead singer of the O'Jays, sung background with Michael Jackson on the original recording, on Stevie's classic 'Hotter Than July' album from 1980.
'All I Do' has always been one of my favorite songs, and it made me think about other favorite songs, so here's an all time (for the time being) top 20 list. I always catch hell from my friends for being all over the place musically. Here's an opportunity to see what they're talking about. No particular order, by the way, I just jotted them down as they popped in my head.
1. All I Do- Stevie Wonder
2. Try A Little Tenderness- Otis Redding
3. Sara Smile- Daryl Hall & John Oates
4. Call Me- Al Green
5. Side By Side- Earth Wind & Fire
6. Girl You Need A Change of Mind- Eddie Kendricks
7. As- Stevie Wonder
8. Say A Little Prayer- Aretha Franklin
9. Love Me- Elvis Presley
10. For You to Love- Luther Vandross
11. Jesus Is Waiting- Al Green
12. Memory Lane- Minnie Riperton
13. Blue Skies- Ella Fitzgerald
14. So What- Miles Davis
15. Song- Lewis Taylor
16. There Was A Time- James Brown
17. I Want Your Love- Chic
18. My Funny Valentine- Johnny Mathis
19. The Best Is Yet To Come- Frank Sinatra
20. Where or When- Frank Sinatra
I know there'll be songs you can't believe I included or left off, but this was a top of mind experiment. Looking over the list, I'm surprised there aren't more women listed, but that's what came to mind. Also, fight the reflex and don't hate on Elvis!